Monday, August 17, 2009

Out West Day 21...Tuesday, August 11, 2009...Another "Photo Day"






If nothing else, I have slept well on this trip. With the exception of one restless night at Glacier, I'm in my sleeping bag (with the added cold-weather liner) by 10:00PM and sleep until 7:00 or 8:00AM.
I have some good "campmates" and some not so good. For the first few days, a couple from San Francisco and their son camp next to me. Their son, around two years old, has "pinkeye", but he's a pretty scrappy kid. They are planning to move to Poland next year, so we talk a little about Eastern Europe and my visit to Prague a few years ago. Tonight, I'm having my favorite "camping meal", Tandoori Chicken, and I have way more than I can eat alone. I see that the California couple and their son ar having a can of baked beans for dinner, so I invite them over for chicken...which they love, particularly the little guy.
Behind me are camped an ever-changing cast of cast of characters who are working as contractors for the local utility company. They've got a trailer parked on the site, and there's a new "group" every other day. They're very loud and stay up very late at night. They have brought their own wood which they pile in the fire ring, douse with copious quantities of gasoline, and set ablaze. Within five minutes or so, they're roasting hot dogs in the fuel-scented fire.
I spent the day today taking more photos. My plan is to spend time in all of the geyser basins shooting black and white as well as digital photos. In the morning, I spend a few hours close by at the Norris Geyser Basin before heading down to the Old Faithful Lodge for lunch. They have a pretty decent burger, so it's a good lunch. Then...off to Biscuit Basin as well as the lower and middle basins for photos.
Last year, I visited at the end of the season, so the crowds were relatively small. Not this year...it's jammed with people. Add in some significant road construction, and it's difficult and time-consuming to get around.
It's again late in the afternoon by the time return to my campsite, so I'm going with my "staple" for dinner...a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon...delicious!
A few hours around the campfire with a few glasses of Australian Cab before bed...another successful day.

No comments: