Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Out West Day 8...Wednesday, July 29, 2009...Another Rainy Day at Glacier

The sound of rain on my tent awakens me this morning...so...no hiking today either.
I'm fine with that...after all the driving that I've done, I welcome a day of rest.
After coffee and breakfast under a makeshift shelter (tarp), I walk over to the Swiftcurent Motor Inn and sit on their porch to read. I've already finished "The Last Campaign, so I dig into a favorite sci-fi author from my late grade school days. His name was Phillip K. Dick and although he never gained great fame while he was alive, he has since become a "cult favorite". The movies Bladerunner and Total Recall were based on short novels by Phillip K. Dick. Over the course of the day, I finish both "The Man in the High Castle" and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".
For lunch, I grab a pizza at the Swiftcurrent's dining room, then back to reading. Late afternoon, the rain stops, so I dry off my picnic table and settle in for a few cocktails before dinner. Tonight it's my "famous" grilled cheese...Nueske's bacon, manchego cheese, potato bread and butter...a triumph of simplicity...especially when accompanied by a 2005 Cotes-du-Rhone. Who says you can't eat well in the wild"!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I was with you!!! I love grilled cheese....white & American, of course.