Monday, August 17, 2009

Out West Day 23...Thursday, August 13, 2009...Back Down South






I really want to do the Elephant Loop hike, so this morning, I'm heading back. Unfortunately, my bear "friends" are also back, so the trail is again closed. Thumbing through my Park guide, I find another interesting hike a little further south out of Bridge Bay to the "Natural Bridge". It's an easy hike...a mile or so through the forest, then another mile along an abandoned road. The "Natural Bridge" is impressive...a big hollowed out rock formation...and a nice spot for a hot lunch of...what else...ramen noodles.
I hike back to the Escape after lunch and head north...my plan is to look for little side roads and drive to some new places. First, I drive the loop to Firehole Lake...very pretty...and...more thermal geysers/springs/pools. Next, I drive the Firehole Canyon loop...only two or three miles, but very great views of some big falls...great photos.
Now it's late afternoon...so...back to camp. I've got another steak left, so I slice that and stir-fry it in some "Indonesian Penang Curry paste (thanks again, Ed and Molly) and serve it over some Basmati rice. Then, a few Heinekens around the campfire and off to bed.

No comments: