Thursday, August 6, 2009

Out West Day 15, Wednesday, August 5, 2009...Bozeman





Today is laundry day, so I'm up early, eager to get my two loads done and head downtown for lunch. Unfortunately, the simple act of doing laundry becomes an incredible chore. People do a load and leave it sit for over an hour. When a dryer is free, the washer is taken, and vice-versa. It takes over four hours to wash and dry two loads.
Around 2:00PM, I head downtown for lunch at Plonk...a few nice glasses of red wine, a Capri salad, and some duck confit spring rolls are just what I need. After lunch, it's over to the Chocolate Moose for a hot fudge sundae...excellent. Then, I find a bike shop where I can get a bike lock...should have done that before I left. After that, I scout out a couple of local meat markets where I can pick up a couple of steaks to take down to Yellowstone...disappointing. You'd think that they would have good meat here in "Beef Country", but the two places where I stop carry only "select beef" the lowest grade if you don't count laboratory animals.
After lunch, I head back to the hotel to do a few blog posts and take a short nap. It promises to be a fun night because they are having the "Bite of Bozeman" Festival...what luck!
Around :0PM, I'm back downtown, and Main Street is a sea of people. They've blocked off Main Street, and all the local restaurants are serving "small plates" outside. This is perfect for me as I can "graze" down the street like a big steer on the open range...a taco here, a piece of pizza there...a glass or two of wine...and so the evening goes until about :0P, when I head back over to the Eagles...more beer, interesting conversations, great comraderie. But, a midnight, it's time for bed...big day tomorrow as I will head out to Yellowstone.

No comments: