Monday, August 17, 2009

Out West Day 19, Sunday, August 9, 2009...A Break in the Weather...A Short Hike




It's really cold this morning...temperature dropped into the 30's again last night...but at least it's not raining. I've planned a nice hike for today...drive down to Biscuit Basin and pick up the trailhead to Fairy Falls...four miles in/four miles out...and a nice view of the Falls.
I load my pack as follows...
Bear Spray
Bear Bell
10 Cliff Bars (energy/snack)
2 packages Cliff "Shot Blocks" (electrolyte replacement/energy)
5 packages Peanut Butter Crackers
2 Hershey Bars with Almonds
2 packages Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Emergency Blanket
2 packages "Gourmet" Ramen Noodles
Titanium Pot/Cup
"Pocket Rocket" Stove and 2 canisters iso-butane fuel
Spork
Digital Camera
35mm. Camera and film
4 Bottles of Water
Swiss Army Knife
Insect Repellent
Sunscreen
By 10:00AM, I'm at the trailhead and ready to go. But I'm having difficulty finding the Fairy Falls Trail, and soon find myself on the trail to Mystic Falls...which I hiked last year. It's a nice hike, so I settle for that. Arriving at the Falls, I cook up some noodles for lunch, snap a few photos and hike out.
Back at my campsite, I relax with a few Margaritas and grilled Bratwurst for dinner.

No comments: