Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Out West Day 9...Thursday, July 30, 2009...A Break in the Weather...and Another Hike






Good fortune at last...I woke this morning to sunny skies. This will afford me the opportunity for another hike. I'm looking at two alternatives...a hike to the Grinnel Glacier or another to Glacier Lake. Having been advised by several people that the Grinnell hike was "strenuous" (e.g. mostly uphill), I opt for Glacier Lake.
The first 3/4 of a mile or so of that hike is mildly uphill, and I have to stop and rest frequently. I make it about three miles in to a nice waterfall, and over a hot lunch of curry-flavored ramen noodles, I decide that I'm not going to make it all the way to the lake. Lunch finished, I head back to my campsite...a pleasant hike given that most of the return is downhill, and that I'm aided by the hiker's friend, gravity.
Back at camp, I relax with a cold Margarita and spend an hour or two reading. My friend, Mark Freedman, gave me "Team of Rivals" about Abraham Lincoln's war-time cabinet. Another great read...Lincoln's genius and place in history really come through.
On my visit to Browning, I picked up a package of chicken, so dinner is "Thai Aromatic Grill" with some rice...great with a bottle Australian Shiraz. After dinner, a beer or two by the campfire, then off to bed.

No comments: