Sunday, August 23, 2009

Out West Day 27...Monday, August 17, 2009...Another Day in Jackson



My plan had been to spend two days in Jackson before heading up to the Park to camp, but this morning, I decide to spend an extra day. It's the weather...cold and rainy. When I step outside the hotel for a morning smoke, it's in the 30's with a steady drizzle. At this point, I'm thinking about skipping the "camping part" and heading for home...we'll see what tomorrow is like.
Feeling "Shakespearean" this morning, I decide to "Get Thee to a Bunnery" and head into town for lunch at "The Bunnery". Any place that makes the Food & Wine magazine's list of "Top 10 Places for Dessert in America" can not be missed. It does not disappoint...a great Chef's Salad is followed by a spectacular piece of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Tart...excellent!
After lunch, I wander around town in search of a few souvenirs...a ball cap, a sweatshirt, a bumper sticker and a few pins. All of that shopping makes me thirsty, so I head back to Snake River Brewing Company for a few pints of Kolsch beer...by now, the temperature is in the 70's and the skies have cleared, so a beer tastes pretty good about now.
Back at the hotel, they've posted tomorrow's weather forecast...sunny. So that decides it...tomorrow, I'll be camping. Before dinner, I get things ready for tomorrow...lay out clothes, load up the coolers with ice, and purchase "provisions"...a piece, of filet (it is, after all, "beef country" here), a pork chop, some fresh corn and some nice looking asparagus...who says you can't eat well while camping!
For dinner, I decide to head back to the Snake River Grill...I want another "Steak Tartare Pizza". Sitting at the bar, I meet a couple from Chicago, Rick and Valerie. Pretty soon, Rick's trying a piece of my pizza, and I'm trying one of their roasted figs with almonds and blue cheese...excellent! We spend a lot of time talking about all of the great restaurants in Chicago, and I invite them to next year's Summer Picnic...I'm betting that they make it.
After dinner, I step out for a cigarette and meet Rachel from New York City. She's excited because she's in the process of moving to Jackson. But, she adds, her friends are all against it. Why, I ask, would anybody be against moving out here? And her reply is that "there aren't many people out here that look like me". This always sensitive door now having been opened, I raise something that's been on my mind for some time. Throughout all of my visit out West, and my stays at Glacier and Yellowstone, I do not recall seeing a single African American..."why is that", I ask? Her answer is short and direct..."They're afraid". While the cities here are pretty sophisticated, there are plenty of pockets of "red-necks" out "on the range"...so to speak. I remember and mention an HBO movie that I saw..."The Laramie Project", which we agree kind of sums it all up. All in all, a sobering (and sad) conversation.
Back inside for dessert, I see that they have one of my favorite after-dinner drinks, Banyuls (a Port-like fortified wine from Southern France). Rick, Valerie and I knock a few of those back before I head back over to Snake River Brewing. Several Kolsch and a few Alt beers later...time for bed. A free bus ride back to the hotel, and I'm asleep in minutes...gotta be up early tomorrow to get a camping site at Jenny Lake.

No comments: