Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Out West Day 13, Monday, August 3, 2009...A Good Night's Rest...A Great Hike





I slept great last night and, around 8:00AM, I'm up and ready to go. The morning coffee ritual, a few smokes, a little time sitting in the Escape listening to CNN...then...time to hike.
I've been told that the hike to Avalanche Lake is a pleasant one, so that's where I head. It is, indeed, a nice hike...along the river, through thick old-growth forests, mostly uphill (but not steep). Three miles or so in, I come to Avalanche Lake...surrounded by mountains and fed by mountain streams. A great place for a simple lunch of cheese/peanut butter crackers and a small bottle of orange juice. The return hike is quick and easy, being mostly downhill.
By 3:30 or so, I'm back in my camp and relaxing again...enjoying a glass of wine and more reading. For dinner, I have a grilled pork chop, leftover potatoes, and the rest of the Pillar Box from the night before...off to another great sleep.

No comments: