Monday, August 2, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 43...Thursday, July 29, 2010...Last Day in Kings Canyon.






Up early again at 6:30AM for coffee and a bowl of cereal. My last day at Kings Canyon.
Much to do today, but I want to get in some more hiking before the more mundane tasks this afternoon.
I drive out again to "Roads End" and take another side trail to Zumwalt Meadow. Another fun hike through the forest (tall cedars) and over huge boulders to the meadow. Then, I hike the meadow loop trail one more time before lunch.
Then, on to the lodge for a club sandwich and more ice. Back at camp, I'm packing up the Escape...reorganizing along the way. Around 3:00PM, I head back to the lodge for a welcome shower ($3.50 for 10 minutes). Now refreshed, it's back to camp for cocktail hour.
I've got some leftover pork cutlets, so I slice those up for a Thai curry stir fry with rice and some sauteed asparagus...yum.
After dinner, my camp mate friends from San Diego invite me (along with my friends from Holland) over again for s'mors. We're having a great time talking around the campfire drinking wine. Before I know it, it's after midnight...WAY past my bedtime.
It's an uneasy sleep...on the one hand, I'm excited because I'll be seeing Ed and Molly tomorrow. But, on the other hand, I'm uneasy about the drive out of the canyon tomorrow. It was easy coming in (all downhill), but it'll be all uphill tomorrow coming out.

No comments: