Sunday, August 1, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 42...Wednesday, July 28, 2010...Kings Canyon Hiking






As with almost every night, I slept great last night. And, I'm up this morning around 7:00AM to make coffee and have a bowl of cereal.
Around 8:30AM, it's time for more hiking, so I head first to Roaring River Falls. It's a very short hike, but I get some good photos of the falls...where the South Fork of the Kings River works it's way through a very narrow chute in the rocks and drops thirty feet or so.
Then, I head further into the canyon to the "Roads End" area where I pick up a side trail heading back to Zumwalt Meadow. I don't go all the way to the Meadow...just two miles or so through open space, forest and rocky climbing areas.
Now, after all that hiking, I'm hungry...so I head over to the Lodge snack bar for a club sandwich. Then, back to my campsite for an afternoon of reading. I'm down to my last book...another Nevada Barr National Park mystery...this one set in Lake Superior National Park. Soon, I'm going to have to find a bookstore and "reload".
Around 4:30PM or so, it's "cocktail time", and I'm thinking maybe something different is in order. So...I mix up a batch of bloody marys (spicy), and they're really hitting the spot in the afternoon sun.
For dinner...more pasta...I've got some spicy sausage and beef angliotti along with some Mario Batali Marinara sauce..."spiked up" with extra garlic, oregano and some good Chianti. I met a very nice couple earlier in the afternoon...they're from San Diego...and they invited me over for "s'mores" around their campfire...great dessert, great company.
It's 10:00PM by the time that I retire for the evening...late for me...but this has been a fine day.

No comments: