Monday, August 9, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 49...Wednesday, August 4, 2010...On to Yosemite



Shannon's got another dynamite breakfast going this morning. A quick bite, and I've got to get on the road. It has been wonderful to have an opportunity to spend time with some of my closest friends after seven weeks of traveling solo. The only "downside" if one can call it that) is that ten minutes after I drive away, I'm feeling lonely.
It's over 300 miles to Yosemite, and I figure to go as far as the town of Oakhurst where I can camp overnight at an RV park, then hit the Park early in the morning to have a better chance of a campsite.
So...I head back up north on I-5...over the "Grapevine" again (not as bad heading north as it was coming south)...back into the Central Valley. I like the Central Valley...without an extensive series of aqueducts and canals, it would be a desert. But water brought in from the mountains has transformed it into "breadbasket" of California...fruit, vegetables...you name it. And, another bonus is that the farming has brought hundreds of great little places for Mexican food...some are regular little restaurants, others are just food trucks parked along the highway. And the food is absolutely delicious...nothing fancy, just tacos, enchiladas, tamales...they're all good.
It's late afternoon by the time that I reach Oakhurst. The RV Park is pretty much a dump, but it's a place to sleep. I cook some pasta for dinner...along with a nice bottle of Italian Barolo. Thanks to Casa Buitoni "fresh" pasta and Mario Battali's bottled sauces, my craving for Italian is now satisfied regularly.

No comments: