Monday, August 9, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 52...Saturday, August 7, 2010...Back to the Valley






I've decided that I can not spend a second day just sitting around camp...so...even though it's a Saturday, I'm heading back down into Yosemite Valley.
The early start (8:00AM) bodes well...I immediately find a "day parking" space. Now I can use the Park Shuttle to get around. I find a place in Curry Village for showers and clean up. They also have a little taco place, so I grab an early lunch there (OK, but not as good as the Central Valley). Then...on to the Visitor's Center to stock up on the standard souvenirs (cap, t-shirt, refrigerator magnet). The "Loop Shuttle" takes me all around the floor of the Valley, so I'm finally able to get some decent photos.
Around 3:00PM, I'm ready to head back to camp...but...first I have to stop at the General Store for ice and firewood. By now, the crowds are at the max...so, I drive around the store parking lot for an hour before I get a parking space. There are no "bargains" in the National Park system...two small boxes of firewood and a small bag of ice sets me back $20.00. Still...I'm happy to just get out of there.
Then, the 25 mile or so drive back up into the mountains to camp. The drive is slow because of traffic, and it's after 6:00PM by the time that I get back to my campsite. I immediately set about preparing dinner...grilled tandoori chicken, some rice pilaf...and...as a special treat, a slice of German Chocolate Cake from Von's Supermarket.
It's another cold night...but...it's been a productive day...and then there's the cake.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bill you are a great writer and photographer. I am really enjoying your adventures. Looking forward to your homecoming and hope we can get together. Sue and Roland