Thursday, August 12, 2010

Camping Out West...Day54...Monday, August 9, 2010...A Better Day, But Lacking That Certain Spark

OK...I got the message (through emails, calls, comments, etc.)...no more "sad blogs".
I woke with the sunrise this morning...no rain! I made coffee, and decided to sit in the Escape and listen to some news with my morning brew. Put the key in the ignition...turn...nothing. The battery is dead...not a good thing given my location as well as the tight squeeze in my campsite. I'm lucky, very lucky...one of my fellow campers has one of those portable chargers and, within a few minutes, I'm up and running. Still...I'm thinking that it may be time for a new battery.
So...off I go, down the mountain 30 miles or so to the town of Oakhurst. I try two auto parts stores (Napa and a local chain, Kragen's)...bad news...the Escape Hybrid takes an "unusual" battery...nobody has one in stock. This will have to wait until I get to Reno.
Meanwhile, I make the most of my return (temporarily) to civilization...some great tacos at a little place right across from the Napa place. And, two hours at a Starbuck's next to the taco place...a chance to check emails, pay bills and catch up on the blog.
Then, it's 30 miles or so back up into the mountains to camp. By the time that I return, it's late afternoon...cocktail time. For dinner...more pasta...Casa Buitoni and Mario Batali are my new best friends. There's a chill in the air, but less so than previous nights...low 50's as opposed to 40's. Soon, I've got a nice fire growing...and I'm finishing up the last of a bottle of more of that nice Zig Zag Cab.
One note of concern from today...talked to Spike, and it appears that Cleo has taken ill. She has apparently lost a significant amount of weight in the last few weeks...never a good sign. I talked to my friend and trusted Vet, Dr. Howard Schwartz...he'll take a look when Spike takes Cleo in on Friday. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

No comments: