Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 69...Tuesday, August 24, 2010...In Vino Veritas






It's a nice leisurely 30-mile drive from Petaluma to the Napa Valley. My hotel, while no luxury property, is nice and comfortable. They let me check in early and, best of all, they've got a spot where I can unhitch and park the camper.
For lunch, I'm returning to an old favorite...Mustard's Grill. It's been 15 years or so since last I ate there, but I still remember their famous onion rings...the "perfect" onion ring. They're every bit as good as I remembered and, thanks to my great bartender, Mo, I'm drinking a great chardonnay. For the main course, the Alaskan Halibut Tostada is fabulous...more wine! An ice cream parfait with a Late-Harvest Pinot Gris is the perfect dessert. It's the best meal that Ive had in months.
I meet two very friendly "locals" at the bar...Cheryl and Dean. They offer some welcome advice on winery visits and local restaurants.
All that wine early in the day has made me sleepy...so it's back to the hotel for a nap. At 5:00PM or so, I'm up, showered and thinking about dinner. After that huge lunch, I'm thinking "small" for dinner...sushi! Around 7:30PM or so, I take a cab over to Sushi Mambo...a few pieces of tuna, some salmon...lots of good Chardonnay. At the sushi bar, I meet another local couple...one of whom, Nicole, works for Joseph Phelps Winery. Soon...I have an invitation to a "private tasting" tomorrow...nice!
After dinner, I'm settled in at Henry's...the local "dive" bar for a few beers before calling it an evening. By 11:0PM, I'm back at the hotel and off to bed.
A very good day today!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE Mustards Grill!! Do you know they were there when I lived in the Bay area....divine food, fresh and visually appealing! Golly, sitting here, thinking about it....it was 23 years ago!!! eeeegads!