Saturday, August 21, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 60...Sunday, August 15, 2010...News About Cleo...Dinner Party




First...some news about Cleo. I talked to my good friend and vet, Howard Schwartz, and this is what we're dealing with. Cleo is diabetic, and that's been causing most of her problems of late. The good news is that this condition is treatable...she will need insulin for the rest of her life. She also has a significant infection, but antibiotics seem to be working well on that. She'll be hospitalized for awhile longer but, hopefully, she'll pull through this.

Tom is off to mass by the time that I get up...which is slowly (too much partying last night). As soon as Tom gets back, we're off to do a lot of shopping. Tom is getting thins for dinner tonight, and I'm getting groceries for the next week of camping. I'm also getting a new battery for the Escape. The old one just won't hold a charge anymore...not good when you're camping.
t takes us most of the day to get everything done. We end up going to Costco, a battery place, two different groceries and a host of other stops. Back home, I start preparing lamb chops with a Parmesan cheese crust. This involves carving the meat off the bone, pounding it, then dipping each piece in beaten egg, Parmesan cheese, beaten egg and fresh bread crumbs. That done, I help Tom make his famous tortelloni...fresh pasta with ricotta, spinach, nutmeg, egg, etc. inside.
At 6:00PM, the guests start to arrive...Tom's mother and aunt, an old friend from high school, and an attorney friend and his wife. It's great fun...nice people, great conversation, spectacular food and delicious wine.
By 10:00PM, everyone has gone home, and I'm helping Tom clean up. We're also drinking more wine, telling old stories and generally having a good old tome. I finally look at my watch, and it's 1:30AM! This does not bod well for an early departure tomorrow for Lassen Volcanic National Park.

No comments: