Sunday, August 22, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 66...Saturday, August 21, 2010...Up North Into the Redwoods






Another cold, damp and foggy morning...up early and a five mile drive for coffee.
Back at the RV Park, I'm all hitched up and ready to head north to the upper unit of Redwoods National/State Park.
I'm taking the "scenic route" through the redwood forest in a deep fog...it's a great drive. Forty miles later, I'm in Crescent City...real civilization. As long as I'm on the coast, I want seafood! So...I head for the Harbor House...two glasses of Sauvignon Blanc, a Dungeness Crab cocktail, and fried oysters...it's all good!
Then...on to another RV Park...this one a very nice KOA north of the town.
I've got a strong cell phone signal, so I make ten calls or so to let people know that I am alive and well...it's nice to hear some familiar voices.

One sobering note...I talked to my friend and vet, Dr. Howard, about Cleo. They've gotten her blood sugar normalized but, despite the antibiotics, her "white count" is still very high. Dr. Howard mentions the three-letter acronym, that sends a chill through me, as a possibility...FIP...feline infectious peritonitis...the same disease that killed my first cat Smokey and, I am convinced, Niles.
We won't know anything for sure for a few days but, if you are of that nature, you might say a small prayer for Cleo.

No comments: