Friday, August 27, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 70...Wednesay, August 25, 2010...Another Day in the Napa Valley






Another bright and sunny day here in Napa. My hotel has coffee ready at 7:00AM, and I'm right there for my first cup of the day.
Some time on the Internet...blog posts, bills, emails...and I'm ready to head out for lunch. Many people regard a place here, The French Laundry, as the best restaurant in the world...and it's chef, Thomas Keller, as also the world's best. It's almost impossible to get a reservation for that place, but chef Keller, has two other places, one of which (Bouchon) is my destination today.
The menu is classic French "bistro" cuisine, and I'm thinking that this will be about as close as you can get to dining in France. I'm not disappointed...the charcuterie platter is outstanding, onion soup is a classic, the cheese plate great as well. These all get accompanied by numerous glasses of local white and red wines...skillfully poured by my bartender, Sabrina.
After lunch, it's over to Joseph Phelps Winery for my "private tasting" at 2:00PM. Soon, I'm seated in a comfortable chair with Keith, the winery's "Trade Hospitality Coordinator". And...for the next two hours we discuss and taste all of the Joseph helps wines. Keith is very knowledgeable, and he answers all of my questions about the soil, the climate, aging, use of oak, etc. It's all great fun. I'm exercising some self-restraint, so I only purchase two bottles.
Now...it's back to my hotel for a two-hour nap before heading out for dinner. Several people have suggested a place called Oenotri for great Italian. It's a great place, but I'm so stuffed from lunch that I can only manage an appetizer (more charcuterie)and dessert (gelato)...and, of course, more wine.
Across the street from the restaurant, there's a small tasting bar serving the wines of John Anthony...they're good wines..."jammy" with a lot of fruit. Plus, I've got another cute bartender! Another gal there recommends a place called "Redd" for lunch tomorrow and, hearing that I'd like to taste wines at the Nickel & Nickel Winery tomorrow, is happy to give me a referral card...excellent. My new-found self-restraint is holding up well...I only buy four bottles.
A quick car ride back to the hotel and, by 11:30PM, I'm snoozing away.

No comments: