Sunday, August 22, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 63...Wednesday, August 18,2010...A Quiet Day


I learned that most of the hiking here at Lassen is way south of my camp. I'm not inclined to go back through the mountains, so I'm spending a quiet day at camp.
In Reno, I picked up a copy of Cooper's biography of Woodrow Wilson...fascinating book. He went from the ultimate triumph to the ultimate defeat over the course of two terms as President...then to suffer a catastrophic stroke with eighteen months left in office...tragic.
So, I spend a quiet day reading...a little lunch...a nap.
Before I know it, the sun is starting to set. Dinner time! I'm enjoying my pasta, so that's on the menu again tonight...along with a nice bottle of that great Nero d'Avola.
Later, sitting around my campfire, I meet one of my fellow campers, Tom Reddick, a lawyer from the U.P.! and...he's a Burning Man "veteran". We talk for well over an hour, and he's giving me some really useful advice. There's a "camp" of Michiganders at BM, so I need to hook up with them via Internet. I'll need goggles of some sort...lots of dust and sand. A bike (a cheap one" is a must to get around. The BM site is laid out with "avenues" and "streets", so it's easy to find things/events/people/etc.
Later, as I fall asleep, I'm already formulating "plans".

No comments: