Monday, August 2, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 46...Sunday, August 1, 2010...Venice Beach!






Ed's up early this morning (time change), and I'm not far behind. Coffee is already brewed, and I'm relaxing outside, cup in hand.
When Shannon wakes, it's not long before a great breakfast...scrambled eggs with onions and peppers, bacon, fried potatoes, toast, orange juice.
By 10:00AM or so, we're packed up and on our way to Venice Beach. Not long into the ride, it starts looking familiar. Even though it's been eight years or so since I've been out here, some things, you don't forget. We get a parking spot right near the beach and, within minutes, we're on the beach, beer in hand. The weather (for August) is nice...sunny, but cool...breezes in from the ocean.
Around 2:00PM, Shannon, Ed and I walk the "boardwalk", taking in the sights...rastafarians, skaters, body builders, bikers, tourists...it's as "diverse" a group as you'll see anywhere. We actually find a good place for lunch...a big antipasto salad for me.
After lunch, I step outside for a smoke...where a cute "skater girl" buys me a round (15 minutes) at the Oxygen Bar...refreshing. When Ed and Shannon join me, I find out that there was a problem with the billing at the restaurant...they lost Shannon's credit card, but lunch (and drinks) are free.
My arthritis has been bothering me...but...I'm in luck. There's a doctor right there next to the beach. The doctor is suggesting a "less traditional", more "holistic" approach, and I leave after just a few minutes with a prescription that I'll have to fill tomorrow in downtown LA...at a co-op.
Back home in Stevenson Ranch, we're sitting outside...enjoying the evening. We get Thai delivery for dinner...excellent...lots of good conversation.
Another...one of many this trip...great day.

No comments: