Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 67...Sunday, August 22, 2010...Driving Howland Hills Road to Stout Grove






I've finally caught a break in the weather...it's sunny and less cool this morning.
Gotta see more trees so, after coffee, I'm back into the Park. The Ranger at the Visitor's Center has suggested that I drive Howland Hills Road...about 20 miles on dirt and gravel through some of the biggest redwoods in the Park.
It's a splendid drive...meandering along parts of the Smith River and Mill Creek. The trees are densely packed in places, and the sunlight filtering down is beautiful. At Stout Grove, I stop to hike the 1.2 mile loop trail, and I'm fortunate to catch up with a ranger-led hike.
Later, I stop four or five times for other short hikes...you just can't get enough of the trees. Around 1:00PM or so, I'm back in Crescent City for a late lunch at the Chart Room...three glasses of Sauvignon Blanc (yum!) and a giant bowl of Dungeness Crab Louie (the best!).
Back at camp, it's time for a well-deserved shower and some general maintenance. I unload and repack the camper and part of the Escape which, over the course of my travels, have become somewhat disorganized.
The camp has Wi-Fi, so I post a few blog entries, check emails and pay bills. I'm also in contact with some fellow Burning Man enthusiasts to see about joining a camp there with some fellow midwesterners.
At 4:30PM, it's cocktail time! A cold margarita or two before dinner. Some nice ravioli with vodka sauce with a few glasses of Chilean Merlot makes for a great meal.
Later, I'm sitting in the camper...listening to music, working the Internet and finishing my biography of Woodrow Wilson.
The "National Parks" part of my trip has come to an end...but I've still got Napa, Reno and Burning Man(!) before I return home.

No comments: