Saturday, August 21, 2010

Camping Out West...Day 62...Tuesday, August 17, 2010...Driving through Lassen





It's only a 30 mile drive from the south end of the Park here to my campground in the north, so I'm having a leisurely morning. There's coffee at the Visitor's Center...two cups are a must. I also buy my usual souvenirs...ballcap, t-shirt, refrigerator magnet.
Then...the drive. OK, since it's Lassen "Volcanic" Park, I don't expect it to be flat...it isn't. The first ten miles are mostly uphill...with the usual steep drop offs, no guardrails, etc. On the "BPS" (Bill Pants-Wetting Scale), I gave it a 6. The last 20 miles or so aren't too bad...I'm already on top of the mountains.
Along the way, I'm stopping often for photos and, at one point, a short hike in to a place called "Bumpass Hell"...named after the unlucky Mr. Bumpass, who fell into a boiling mudpot and lost a leg many years ago.
At the campground, I'm lucky enough to find a large (very) pull-through site. For lunch, it's a bowl of Korean noodles. Then, I'm off on foot to do a little exploring around Lake Manzanita...fun.
At 4:00PM, I'm back in camp for cocktail hour, followed by a great dinner of fresh ravioli with vodka sauce and a nice bottle of Sicilian Nero d'Avola. As the sun sets, my campfire is roaring away...it's cold up here...40's at night. But the fire is warm, the wine good. But around 10:00PM, it's off to bed.

No comments: